Pleasant Springs Farm
Boyds, Maryland 20841
Website design by:
Sugarloaf Country Historical Collection
are proud to show off our latest notecards - The Sugarloaf Country Historical
cards are from precious photographs, carefully selected from our private
collection. Each card is 4.25"x5.5", and comes with envelope.
percentage of each sale will be donated to Boyds Historical Society, a
nonprofit local community organization.
order, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Two of Montgomery's finest
Ruby Downs and unidentified fellow officer of the Montgomery County,
"Champions, Montgomery County, Maryland 1928"
Seneca School, Berryville Road
Lockkeepers, stonecutters and canal workers sent their children
to the closest of the two Montgomery County, Maryland schools called
over what is now the
reservoir in Boyds, Maryland, 1873
On May 24, 1873, the Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio
Railroad steamed across Montgomery County, MD, over this bridge,
bringing prosperity and gingerbread trim wherever it went. Today
the bridge site is the dam for the WSSC reservoir at Boyds.
Women of Boyds, Maryland, knit for peace, 1917
Everyone could help win the war. The American Red Cross collected
hand knit socks and hats and sent them to the boys in the trenches
Methodist Episcopal Church South, Germantown, MD
In 1902 Methodists of Germantown, MD, split into two congregations,
leaving only a silent graveyard (now gone) to mark the site of their
log chapel on Clopper Road.
Street scene in early Boyds, MD
A pair of perfectly matched bay mares help James Boyd Maughlin and
Eleanor Ray Maughlin leave the acclaimed farm and impressive house
built by his uncle, James Boyd, in Montgomery County, MD Only the
stone entrance pillars remain.
Nealsville (Neelsville) Presbyterian Church, c. 1890
Elegant details of this Germantown, MD church reflect the prosperity
of the railroad era.
Negro School, 1928
Restored through volunteer effort and public funding, Boyds Negro
School is now a community meeting place for Western Montgomery County,
Germantown, MD Presbyterian Church, c. 1900
This church in Montgomery County, MD, is now a veterinary clinic.
Stonecutters at Seneca Quarry
Former slaves and Irish immigrants cut sandstone at Seneca Quarry
Montgomery County, MD Loaded onto barges, the stone was shipped
down the C&O Canal to build the Smithsonian "Castle"
and other structures.
Road building, Montgomery County, MD, 1907
Rock arrived in Boyds by train and was carted to the site by draft
horses like Sam and Jerry.
Seneca School, River Road, c. 1890
Restored by volunteer effort and public funds, Seneca Sandstone
Schoolhouse, Montgomery County, MD, hosts school groups interested
in local history.
Boyds Station, c. 1890
This handsome, brick, slate-roofed railroad station once stood in
Boyds, Montgomery County, MD, c. 1890.
Waters House, Germantown, MD, c. 1860
William Waters built this substantial brick house in 1817, in Germantown,
Montgomery County, MD Purchased by a Germantown developer, the house
was demolished in 1981.